Friday, July 27, 2007

IPU making

For Kali's school we made IPU's. They are Hawaiian instruments, usually used for rhythm during Hula dances both modern hula (Auana) and ancient hula (Kahiko). Kali picked our her own gourd and took it to the ocean to clean it, after a little scrubbing she decided it was more fun to play in the sand then sit and scrub the gourd, so the moms was left to finish the job, and it was hard work! After it is all polished looking then up cut off the top and scrape out the seeds from the inside, Kali loved that part. Then you sand the inside and polish the outside and WAH LAH you have an Ipu!





2 comments:

Mama and Papa Wood said...

I just have so much fun looking at all your blog pictures! I'm learning a lot about Hawaii, too.I forgot to comment on the wonderful grad pics you posted just for me. Thanks so much, they're all wonderful!
Love, MOM

Susan said...

Hey Shanae, I didn't know that you were pregers. How fun. When are you due?