Thursday, January 31, 2008

A TRIBUTE TO OUR PROPHET


I have been wanting to write something ever since I heard the news that our prophet had passed away. It was Sunday afternoon when all of a sudden my phone was flooded with text messages about how our beloved prophet had left this world to be with his wife. Oh what a glorious reunion that was, I am sure. When I first read the text it came as a shock to me and I just sat there. My very first thought was this is so sad and I wanted to just sit and cry, my second thought was how happy for him to get to finally be with his wife, and that thought did make me cry.
He is such an amazing man and has done so much for our church while he was prophet, I felt like I knew him and quickly thought back through my life if I have ever actually met him, I felt like I had. After much reflection I realized I had never actually met him in person, but I had attended two different firesides that he had spoken at, and I will never forget the one in Utah at the Marriott Center when he walked into the room and everyone stood up and sang, "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet, " I am sure there was not a dry eye in the whole place, the spirit was so strong and if I hadn't had a strong enough testimony before, I knew with out a doubt at that moment in my life that Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet in these latter days and he did speak with God and knew what we needed to hear for this day in time.
I turned on the news trying to find out more information. Sadly enough, nothing was being said. So, I immediately got on lds.org to see what they had to say. I tried calling Aaron to see if he had heard the news, then called my sister Janica to see if she had heard. I guess I almost felt like I needed confirmation that this was true and not some misunderstanding.
Monday Aaron spent some time reading aloud to me every article that was written about him on CNN and the New York Tribune and on lds.org, etc. Anything he could find. For FHE we talked about him and all his service he has done while prophet. It has been good to take time to talk about and reflect on the life of our prophet and the great man that he was and is. He was definitely a devoted servant of our Heavenly Father. What a great example. What an amazing man.

3 comments:

Susan said...

This is by far the best blog tribute that I have read yet. It gave me goose bumps.

Deborah Austin said...

What an amazing man, you put it well. Love love love him!

What fun he is having in heaven with his sweet wife:)

Deb

Molly Bea said...

hey just wanted to say really quick that I've been thinking about you...I know you are getting close to that delivery and I know by how I feel you must be ready! Hooray for being almost done! :) I hope you are well. Good luck!