Monday, November 17, 2008

WE are the CHAMPIONS of the WARD :)

Our 14th ward girls basketball team took 1st! Go married women!!! We played a singles ward for the championship game and we showed them that old married women could still play ball :) Every girl on our team was a HUGE asset:

Vivien - What an awesome girl. For our very first game only Larissa and I showed up and you had to have three to play, so we called everyone on the roster, but no one could come, then out of the blue Vivien showed up and saved the day. She was learning as she went, getting better by the game, I am so glad she decided to come play on the team and she was AWESOME!

Larissa - She was our main girl down low, we would just toss the ball to her and she would do her thing, swoosh, 2 more points on the board. Larissa was so much fun for me to play with, we are very similiar in how we play ball and it was fun to feed off each other. I LOVE YOU GIRL!!

Me - Any of you who knew how I played ball growing up, a few things have changed, I am still a huge re-bounder, but I take more shots from the outside now, and the biggest change that I have made in playing ball, which I am SO proud of myself for, is I actually make friends now with my opponents. I know many of you are shaking your head in disbelief, but it is true. My sister Coriann was a huge example to me in how she played ball, so I decided to try it out and see where it got me, and in this instance it won us a championship. We decided as a team to not play dirty ball, no pushing, shoving, or getting angry, just play smarter and have good sportsmanship. I think in many of our games it threw the girls off because they would be pushing on us but we never pushed back. A couple times I just moved and the girl would just fall on the floor (a little trick I learned back in the day from Esther Moes, remember Mikaela :)

Andrea - This little gem wasn't able to start playing with us till right before tournament started because she was pregnant, and her first game she played was a week later after giving birth. I know she is AMAZING and look at her!!! Skinny Minnie. This girl was one of our outside shooters. We just knew when ever she shot the ball up, it was going in!!! She was a huge, huge asset to the team. DID I MENTION SHE IS AMAZING!

Julianna - She was our other key shooter from the outside, and again, when she shot the ball up, you knew it was going in! Julianna was also the brains of the team, she would inform us of what we needed to change, or remind us that we did have a time-out we could use :) There was one key game where Julianna scored like 20 points which I know totally boosted her confidance in shooting. She is awesome, and I am so glad she was part of our team.

I LOVE ALL THESE GIRLS AND AM SO GLAD TO HAVE BEEN APART OF THIS TEAM!

6 comments:

Mikaela said...

Okay, as I was reading about you, Esther's all I could think of! haha! Isn't it a great thing that we grow up a little when we leave high school? (I have, believe it or not based on what you saw at our 10 year reunion! haha) I'm glad your team did great! Thanks for a good laugh though about the big Othello game...I still tell people that story cause I think it's so hilarious!

Erin said...

um of course, our ward dominates in sports! and i looove how your section is longer than anyones...way to be humble ;)
james and i were talking about how much we missed you yesterday...made me slightly depressed!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations girls! Undefeated champions two in a row! You guys did awsome! I was cheering you guys on during the final game. Dude, Shanae you are an AWSOME rebounder! Everytime the ball hits the rim, you're the one who get's that rebound! Awsome girl! Way to go married women!

Kim's just sayin' said...

way to represent the best ward! I'm glad you guys won because I might have felt a bit guilty for refusing to show up for that first game otherwise...

Josh and Stephanie Barney said...

That is awesome! I wish I could have been there to see you play! I would have pulled out my camera and taken video of the whole thing!!!

The Tesimales said...

I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there. I haven't played in like umpteen billion years. :( Congrats though! Sounds like a dream team