Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pink Ribbon


Have you noticed all the pink this month. In the grocery stores, searching yahoo, on facebook, etc. That is because it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have already purchased, pink cups, a fuze drink and a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups. I am looking at purchasing, an element shirt, running shoes, and a pink ribbon charm. They are all supporters of, "Susan G. Komen for the Cure." What exactly is this you ask?


Fulfilling the Promise
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®, we have invested more than $1 billion to fulfill our promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.

With so many important organizations to support why am I such a big supporter of breast cancer?
Well, out of my dad's five sisters, three of them have had breast cancer. For some reason I have always felt like I will have it. I haven't had a vision or blessing or anything to confirm this feeling, it is just like an acceptance of what is to come. Weird, huh?

I am sad that the Hawaii 5K for the cure is on October 19th, which is a Sunday, however, I did find some other race for the cure in Honolulu on October 23rd and 24th. So I am excited to call and see if I can participate in that.

Next time you are in the grocery store this month and you see an item with the pink ribbon, buy it, just to support a good cause:) Every little bit helps!

2 comments:

Erin said...

i know. we were trying to sign up for a walk (for me), run (for james) but they are all on sundays! I totally have a ribbon!

Hillaryous said...

... sorry this is not related to your post...


did the toga photo look bad or something? if it did can you just email it to me?! thanks babe